ADULT PALLIATIVE CARE
Adult Palliative Care involves the community based, comprehensive and integrated continuum of care for adult people living with HIV and other chronic infections. Devlink Africa has a close working relationship with the Ministry of Medical Services and the Ministry of Public Health and Sanitation for improved service provision to its target.
Devlink seeks to provide a holistic care package including nutrition care, family support, psychosocial support, nursing care, palliative care, prevention with positive and life skills development. Devlink Africa then refers the clients for other health related servces for comprehensive service provision.
DEVLINK continues to provide palliative care services to 500 individuals and growing in their households.
The following are our key activities:
- Conducting home visits
- Supporting group meetings
- To train Community Health Workers and hold monthly Community Health Worker meetings
- Agricultural activities to help the community maintain a healthy and balanced diet
- Group Counseling sessions
Our Achievements so far include:
- Recruitment and service provision to all 500 individuals within their households
- Effective use of the Government initiated Community Strategy
- A maintained close relationship with the Ministry of Medical Services and other partners including CSOs
- Continued maintainence of alll 20 Community Health Workers
Despite the numerous achievements Devlink has had we face some challenges which we hopefully continue to overcome.
The following are some of the challenges we face:
- Weakness in the referral systems
- Low supply of some medication like Cotrimoxazole in the health facilities
- Long distance barrier from the health facilities which in turn negatively influences the number of referrals made
- High stigma in some parts of the project area reduce access to care by some individuals